Joseph A. Espinosa
Orange, California 92866
My e-mail address is: joseph AT espinosa DOT ms
I have over 30 years of progressive experience, with a proven track record for "getting the job done." I can help your organization leverage existing technologies, while preparing your environment for future expansion/enhancements. I will zealously defend your bottom line and profit margin, work to reduce your technology expenses, and make technology not just work, but work FOR YOU. I can benefit you and your organization almost immediately, and over the long term.
No environment is too large or too small!
- Full systems design, deployment, and support of Windows-based server infrastructures
- Deployment and support for SQL, Exchange, electronic mail, file/print servers, Active Directory, Citrix products, various vertical applications and application servers
- Fully capable of researching, choosing, learning, implementing, and supporting a variety of solutions, including new products and emerging technologies, in a rapid manner and with a professional delivery.
- Extensive systems analysis and infrastructure assessment experience using a variety of systems administration and analysis tools, including SolarWinds, Hyena, The Dude, Spiceworks, Splunk, etc.
- Documentation development for multiple audiences: End user documentation and training materials, Systems Administration training and procedure development, Executive-level summaries, presentations and project support/status reports, extensive diagramming/documentation using Visio, Dia, and various desktop publishing applications.
01/1995 - Present
Independent Contractor, Multiple Organizations
On-site and Remote IT support for Sports Nutrition Retail Stores nationwide:
- Offering Remote IT on-call support and IT project management for multiple locations
- Out-of-Scope support for retail stores on a time and materials basis for all other issues not covered by franchise-sponsored support contracts
Full-time support for Wind Energy company in Tehachapi, CA:
- Managing all infrastructure components; network environment, customer-facing and internal applications, Windows 2008/2003R2/2000/NT4 solutions and systems, end user computing components, desktop infrastructure, virtual environments, and vertical systems implementations, including SCADA infrastructure, systems management, and managed services. Coordinate all 3rd-party vendor activities, project implementations, and infrastructure analysis/migrations.
- iSCSI and NAS implementation based on FreeNAS, as well as desktop systems using Ubuntu Linux
- Untangle firewall implementation
- SaaS and IaaS implementation and management using a variety of providers, including Google Apps, Microsoft Office Live, Hosted Exchange, and other 3rd-party solutions
Systems design and deployment for a real estate and property management firm in Southern California, including deployment and support of corporate network environment, network servers, remote applications access, voice and video conferencing, managed firewall services, and:
- Virtual server provisioning and infrastructure management using VMWare, rack-mount Intel servers, Windows Server 2003/2008, and Virtual Office client applications
- Customer support and collaborative software services consulting, selection, and implementation for a small firm of systems support specialists, and remote meeting services/software integration to enable multi-user training and support services
- Migrated internal e-mail and groupware solutions to externally-hosted solutions running DeskNow for mail, file sharing, calendaring, instant messaging and data collaboration with external organizations/individuals
- Cloud-based backup and disaster recovery implementation for Windows and Mac clients, Windows servers, Exchange Mail, SQL Databases, shared files, and client data
- Cloud-based file replication services implementation and support
Provided systems engineering and network integration consulting for clients and partners:
- Consult with clients regarding the use and deployment of technology to achieve business objectives
- Design systems to client specifications, and address the needs of client business objectives using Information Technology
- Provide future technology direction and strategic planning for client companies
Served as Lead Consultant for a two-month Organizational and Technological Effectiveness and Re-Engineering Study for the Los Angeles County Board of Supervisors. The purpose of the study was to:
- Analyze the Board's current Information Systems management structure
- Document the technological architecture of currently deployed systems
- Ensure that best practices were maintained in service delivery
- Delivered two videotaped two-hour presentations to all department managers and I.S. personnel, presenting findings, and making recommendations for improvement/redeployment of current systems, as well as organizational restructuring
Other key clients include:
- Disney Consumer Products (DCP), in Burbank, California - Provided design and implementation services for a Worldwide LOTUS NOTES network, that the current infrastructure could support and facilitate. The objective was to perform a structured, "bottom-up analysis” of the current Wide Area Network's infrastructure, and make recommendations for improvement. After implementation of recommended changes, 26 LOTUS NOTES Servers were successfully delivered and implemented on six continents, providing Electronic Mail and Collaborative Computing capabilities to over 3,000 users worldwide.
- Primary Consulting Engineer on a six-month project to design and implement a disaster recovery plan for the Metropolitan Water District of Southern California. The goal was to analyze and document the technology and manpower required to recover network servers and data to various business resumption sites throughout Southern California.
- Zebra-Net Technical Solutions Network, Irvine, CA - Network Design, Implementation and Support for internal systems and external customers
- NovaQuest InfoSystems, Torrance, CA - Professional Consulting Services for internal systems and external customers
- Yasutomo and Company, San Francisco, CA - Intranet design, TCP/IP Connectivity, Electronic Mail, Network Design, Implementation and Support for internal systems
08/2012 - Present
Bentley Mills, Inc., Industry, CA
Joined as a consultant to lead the divestiture of all Windows infrastructure, internet, networking, and systems management as Bentley struck out on its own, after being a wholly-owned subsidiary of Interface, Inc. This included the build-out of a new Windows AD Forest/Domain environment, redeployment of key service-based applications (time/attendance, document management, file/print sharing services, VMWare infrastructure), as well as redeployment of critical services, including wireless infrastructure, wireless backhaul, VPN, and multi-site MPLS.
- Later, led the redeployment of backup/disaster recovery and new server/SAN data center infrastructure, including recovery strategies.
- Key contributor in various solution design and deployment, including remote support for an international salesforce, WAN/LAN/multi-site monitoring and alerting, and 2nd tier support for infrastructure components.
- Latest efforts include supervising helpdesk and user support teams, as well as onsite support for plant operations, including carpet manufacturing operations. Proven track record for excellent customer support and infrastructure.
- Also responsible for deployment of various collaborative enablement platforms, including Trello and Asana project delivery/management systems, including design, training, and driving projects to completion.
- Full-time and on-call support for a 24/6 carpet manufacturing environment and warehouse/shipping operations.
- Deployment and support of a Cisco LAN/WAN environment, Ubiquiti Wireless AP infrastructure, and Ubiquiti AirFiber deployment, as well as multiple Ubiquiti WAN/VPN Site-to-Site deployments.
- Well-versed in Windows SQL Server Administration/DBAdmin, Windows AD, VIPRE and Malwarebytes enterprise deployments, VMWare and VEEAM, Kronos Workforce Central, OpenText systems administration, Group Policy.
- Design, deployment, installation, and support for wireless, wired, and virtual networking/SDN administration.
- Responsible for deployment of remote support tools, including LogMeIn Remote, LogMeIn Hamachi, and Citrix GoToAssist.
08/2011 - 12/2011
Cyr Consulting, Hesperia, CA,
Max Muscle Sports Nutrition, Orange, CA
On-site and remote support for Corporate Franchise Headquarters office. Responsible for all on-site infrastructure:
- SonicWall administration
- Microsoft Windows Servers, MS SQL Server, MS Exchange, File and Print services, and Network Attached Storage, Linux-based VPN/IDS/IPS implementations,
- Initial build and delivery of franchise store Point-Of-Sale systems, educational kiosks, and in-house mock store/training center.
- Physical network and connectivity management, Shoretel VoIP PBX and phones deployment and support/administration
09/2006 - 10/2009
O'Neil Relocation/Corporate Relocation Services, Garden Grove, CA
IT Manager and 24/7/365 IT Support Specialist for O'Neil Relocation (United Van Lines Agent), Corporate Relocation Services (Mayflower Van Lines Agent), and other United and Mayflower Agents in California, Texas, and Kansas. Also responsible for the deployment, management, and ongoing administration of all things technology-related, including:
- TelePacific MPLS Wide Area Network, Local Area Networks, VPN, and Remote Access Infrastructure
- Server Infrastructure comprised of Microsoft Windows 2000 and 2003 Servers, Active Directory, Microsoft SQL Server 2000/2003, SCO UNIX, SCO Tarantella, UNIX TELNET terminal services
- Windows servers, desktops, laptops, MacBook Air, Blackberries, Smartphones, Windows XP Home and Professional, Windows Vista Home and Business, and Ubuntu Linux
- Remote access and support using LogMeIn, VPN/RDP, Citrix GoToAssist
- Multi-function devices and printers, hand-held scanners, wireless warehouse management devices, wireless access points, and customer courtesy internet stations
- Sprint wireless routers, phones, data cards, and smart phones
- Vertical applications, including warehouse management systems, moving and storage industry solutions, field sales estimating and customer relationship management solutions, fleet management, fixed asset management, and commerce-oriented solutions
- Integrated file and printer sharing between Solaris, Windows, Macintosh, and Windows Mobile devices using open source solutions for NAS, LPD, and Samba
- Extended the useful life cycle of all Servers, Desktops, and Laptops to six years using a variety of open source and commercial software solutions to optimize and redeploy new standards and images, resulting in almost $80,000.00 in savings over a 3 year period
- Consolidated telecommunications from 5 service providers to 2, reducing costs by almost 40% for data and voice land line communications, all while eliminating an unreliable site-to-site VPN by implementing a private MPLS infrastructure running twice the bandwidth, and round trip delays half as long as the original design
- Consolidated wireless communications to 1 service provider (Sprint), and renegotiated rates and plans for a 35% savings over the past three-year average costs
- Replaced illegally-deployed copies of commercial software with open source alternatives, immediately eliminating the risk associated with the use of unlicensed software, while paving the way for future cost savings, by relying on products freely available for legal use in a business environment
- Managed all outside service providers, including Telecommunications Service Providers, Copier and Printer service and support, Developer-provided Vertical Applications support, Hosted web and e-mail services, Telephone Systems Support, Unified Threat Management and Gateway services
- Migrated firewall and VPN from WatchGuard Fireboxes and WatchGuard SOHO appliances to Untangle running on standard x86 servers, using the Ubuntu Linux implementation of Untangle. Upgraded later to Untangle 7.x, eliminating the need for Ubuntu, resulting in faster performance for site-to-site VPN, user VPNs, and web-filtering
09/1999 - 10/2002
Broadcom Corporation, Irvine, CA
As a Business Technologist and IT Systems Engineer for a major semiconductor/telecommunications corporation, I was responsible for the design, oversight, implementation, and support of:
- Microsoft Windows Servers (all services), Microsoft BackOffice Products (IIS, SQL, Exchange), and all Intel Processor-based systems, including Compaq, DELL, and various White-box clone systems
- Vertical Application environments (Syntricity, CashPro+, ShareData, etc.)
- Escalation support for all sites regarding Windows-based implementations, Citrix-based implementations, Intel-based Servers, and HP/Compaq, IBM-, Dell-, and white-box- PCs
Fully designed and deployed the standard WINTEL infrastructure to existing sites worldwide, including all acquired companies. Trained local systems administrators, and provided follow-on support. In addition:
- Act as primary support for Southern California sites
- Provide deployment and support for the Corporate Business Applications group
- Provide deployment and support for other Corporate activities/business units
- Extensive M&A experience, including the management of WINTEL integration, expansion, and implementation for companies acquired between 1998 and 2002, and trained local support personnel from each of the incoming support organizations
- Created and implemented an image-based server deployment process, which allows contracted consultants to deploy up to 30 servers a week
- Very well-versed in all Compaq Proliant Hardware, including servers, disk enclosures, SAN hardware, racks, power management, consoles, remote insight/lights out boards and management software, disk arrays, fail-over technologies
- Deployed Systems Management using Compaq Insight Management and Integration into HP OpenView for all WINTEL infrastructure
- Integrated the Citrix MetaFrame and Windows desktop environments to provide seamless, same-environment look and feel, as well as access to data and information
- Provided 24x7x365 support for all critical WINTEL Servers, Citrix MetaFrame, and Microsoft BackOffice systems
- Successfully deployed numerous application environments, including standalone vertical systems (ShareData, Syntricity, etc.), as well as systems deployment for internally developed applications
11/1998 - 09/1999
Integration Technologies, Inc., Newport Beach, CA
As Vice President of Network Solutions Engineering for a Value-Added Reseller/Systems Integrator, responsibilities included:
- Operations Management for Engineering Staff and Resources
- IT staffing and employee acquisition, career development, and skills management/training
- Design of Customer Networks and Integration Projects
- Information systems management for all internal technologies
Main focus as VP Engineering was to redesign and implement all operational systems guidelines and management, as well as provide growth paths for engineering staff members.
Implemented new Project Management Systems and Principles, as well as Enterprise Architecture design methodologies, restructured Activity and Service Reporting mechanisms and work processes, resulting in more accurate time reporting, and higher billing activities
Designed multiple network implementations, including:
- Fortune 100 Semiconductor and Telecommunications Corporation, Irvine, CA – Windows Infrastructure and Citrix Solutions Implementation for multiple sites
- Fortune 500 Insurance and Investment Corporation - Firewall, DMZ, mail and hosted applications
- Fortune 500 Global Staffing and Employment Agency - Branch office to corporate-hosted applications deployment using Windows/Citrix solutions
02/1998 - 11/1998
Brown and Caldwell, Irvine, CA
Long-Term: As Southern California's Regional IS Manager for an Environmental Engineering firm. Support for all southern California offices, home to over 140 employees. Provide on-site and remote support for all information systems, as well as coordinate installations and implementation of new technologies and applications required by corporate standards:
- Conversion from Banyan VINES 6.x to Windows NT 4.0 for Southern California offices
- Redeployed all workstations and software to create a standardized environment, with supportable hardware and software. Originally, no standards existed, except for basic guidelines regarding which software was authorized at user workstations. Resulted in an environment conducive to meeting the needs of users, and fostering a productive work place
- Completely rebuilt all servers, workstations, and laptops, including software installations, data standardizations, and file organizations. Resulted in a supportable, easy to use work environment, which users found more intuitive and easy to understand
- Created workstation configuration standards and communicated to management the ramifications of not replacing problem systems and technologies
- Implemented systems architecture guidelines, documentation, and disaster recovery plans for Southern California offices, including hot-site/alternate-site setup procedures and project management guidelines
- Managed physical cable plant deployments for Irvine/Von Karman office during office space expansion, cable contractors, and performed remedial cable repairs, drop identification and plate tags for entire office
- Redeployed switching infrastructure, patch management, and communications equipment, resulting in a more organized, easy-to-manage local area network and telecommunications environment
02/1995 - 02/1997
NovaQuest InfoSystems, Torrance, CA
As a Systems Engineer and Consultant for a major VAR/Systems Integrator in Torrance, CA:
Started in the Integrated Services Division as a Systems Engineer, providing support to account executives in pre-sales engineering, installation, and post-sales support for corporate customers. Became a Certified Banyan Engineer. Designed networks using a multitude of technologies and products to meet the needs of customers. Provided on-site support and implementation of network architectures.
Became a Senior Systems Engineer within four months of being hired, by providing solid industry experience, technical expertise, and business development skills. Focus changed to performing Needs Assessments, designing Network Installations and Roll outs, delivering Proposals and Presentations, and providing corporate Account Project Management.
Later, chosen for promotion to a position as one of four Systems Consultants from a 45-member department to work in a new consulting subsidiary. Focus changed to systems design, RFP responses, and feasibility analyses.
- Provided Tier-3 escalation support to field service engineers and technicians, and pre/post for sales support sales personnel in business development activities.
- Delivered Certified Network Specialist courses at Ingram Micro, Tempe, Arizona
- Delivered Certified Network Specialist courses at MCAS El Toro, California
- Banyan VINES to Novell Netware 4.x migrations
01/1989 - 01/1995
United States Marine Corps
Trained and served as a COBOL/ADA/CICS/NATURAL/CLIPPER/xBASE Programmer. Created and managed applications for Unit Operations and Administration, Resource Management, Inventory Management, Training and Educational Services, and Personnel Management, Operations, and Administration.
Served in a dual role as an Technical Instructor and Small Systems Specialist. Designed and authored courses on basic computer applications and operating systems. Delivered over 150 2-day and 4-day courses over a three-year period and continually received top ratings from over 1,200 students, while maintaining other military duties. Performed installation and support for new and existing BANYAN VINES servers, and support for new and existing workstations and software.
Became a Certified Network Specialist, and Certified Network Engineer. Promoted to Network Manager. Spearheaded strategic planning, deployment, and support of Wide Area Networks, Servers, and Services for Marine Corps Air Station El Toro and Marine Corps Air Station Tustin, while managing 8 network administrators and supporting over 2,500 users.
Became a Certified Network Instructor, and delivered network administration courses for 80 students in a nine-week period, receiving top ratings from all students that attended. This ensured the infrastructure at both MCAS El Toro and MCAS Tustin was supported by trained, capable, and certified system administrators and engineers after my discharge.
- Marine of the Quarter: March 1991
- Marine of the Month: January 1991, August 1993
- Letters of Appreciation: 2 in 1989, 3 in 1990, 2 in 1992, 4 in 1993, and 3 in 1994
- Good Conduct Medal: 1992, 1995
- Honorably Discharged